Monday, March 21, 2011

#10 08/29/86 – Anaheim Stadium - Schofield’s Walk-off Grand Slam

As August drew to a close, the Angels held a 4 ½ game lead over the second place Texas Rangers. Heading into the bottom of the ninth, the Angels found themselves in a 12-5 hole against the Tigers. Knowing that Texas had already won, it looked as if their lead would be trimmed to 3 1/2.
Most fans had already turned off their radios, or headed home, long before Dick Schofield stepped up to lead off the inning that would produce the signature moment of the exciting 1986 season. Dick legged out an infield single to SS to start the rally. Rick Burleson lined out to center for the first out, and more radios were flipped off. Wally Joyner then drew a walk. Brian Downing followed with a single to load the bases. Then Jack Howell doubled to right, scoring Schofield and Joyner.
With the score now 12-7, Sparky Anderson decided to go to his closer, former CY Award winner Guillermo Hernandez. Hernandez promptly gave up an RBI single to George Hendrick. Bobby Grich followed with another RBI single. Gary Pettis then grounded the ball to 2B. Lou Whitaker stepped on the bag to force Grich, but Pettis was too fast to be doubled up. Ruppert Jones pinch hit for Jerry Narron, and Pettis stole second. Hernandez then walked Jones to load the bases.
Nine batters after his leadoff single, Schofield stepped up to the plate again; this time representing the go-ahead run. Guillermo went to his splitter, and Schofield lofted a fly ball that carried into the leftfield stands for a walk-off grand slam! It was the sixth walk-off “Super Slam” in AL history (a walk-off grand slam hit with the home team losing by 3 runs). The 13-12 victory was the Angels’ greatest ninth inning comeback in their fifty year history and helped propel them to the divisional title.

1 comment:

  1. I remember this game clearly. I was getting ready for bed and was so disgusted that I reached over to flip off the radio so I could go to bed. Instead, I turned off the light and climbed into bed, figuring that I might as well listen to the ninth in case something exciting happened. After all, my favorite player (Joyner) was due up third. Maybe he'd hit a home run or something to at least salvage something from the time I'd invested listening. With each new baserunner, my excitement grew - waking up my brothers and catching my dad's attention. By the time Schofield came up again, the four of us were huddled around the radio straining to hear over the static that was always more pronounced at that time of night. When Schofield hit it out, our ensuing shout must have woken up the entire neighborhood. I had always been a baseball fan before, but that game cemented within me a "never say die" attitude that exists to this day. I don't give up on my team until the fat lady sings her final note.

    ReplyDelete